EP84 How to Own the Boardroom with Jennifer Gillivan
Jennifer Gillivan is the president and CEO of the IWK Health Center foundation. She has vast experience with philanthropy, partnership strategy, marketing, and of course, leadership. She was born and educated in Dublin, Ireland and migrated to Canada in 1982 where she eventually worked for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and would later receive the CBC English Television Award for Pioneer Work.
Jennifer’s career started out rocky as an immigrant but on hindsight, she said the rough road she took was actually the perfect environment for her to build what would become a successful career.
In today’s episode, Jennifer will tell us just how to make the female voice heard in a male-dominated society and become a dominant presence inside the boardroom without coming out as arrogant and egoistic.
Here’s a Breakdown of Today’s Show:
- Why not being good in school doesn’t mean you won’t be successful in real life
- Selling a concept and an idea to strangers by being genuinely curious
- How to become a generous listener and how you can use that when it comes to marketing your ideas
- You’ll learn the importance of where your values lie and why your career growth depends on it.
- Why the biggest hurdles you may face are the challenges and opportunities that work against your values
- How to know where your values lie
- Jennifer’s definition of “Owning your ambition”
- The importance of promoting yourself and your successes
- Why where you sit in the boardroom as well as the gestures you do matter
- You’ll know why asking someone to explain it to you in a way that you can understand is not a sign of weakness.
- Talking not for the sake of talking but for the sake of contribution
- Jennifer’s own 3 success tips on becoming a successful female entrepreneur
Jennifer’s Words of Wisdom
- “Spending the time understanding your essence, who you truly are and what your values are, where your lines are is probably the smartest piece of homework in any part of your life and specially your career.”
- “Elbows in, be in the room and people will remember you in the room.”
- “Nobody can value you better than you, nobody can treat you better than you treat yourself. How you treat yourself is how you teach others to treat you.”
Are you a fan of the Fierce Feminine Leadership Podcast?
If the tips and interviews we share in each episode have helped you gain the confidence and inspiration to become a better, more powerful leader, head on over to iTunes, subscribe to the show and leave your honest review to let us know! Each month, one lucky podcast reviewer will be selected to receive a free coaching session with me – Eleanor Beaton!
What are you waiting for? Head on over to iTunes, subscribe and leave your review to enter your name into this month’s contest!
Want more Advice Like this?
Sign up and follow me on Facebook to get more advice on achieving the personal and professional success you deserve!